The role of a Group Leader
Being a Group Leader (GL) at the OSS Retail Foundation Programme is both rewarding and challenging for the individual whilst being developmental to those undertaking this role.
The Ideal Candidate
As the Foundation Programme is targeted to newer, less experienced first-line managers the ideal GL should have a bias towards training and development whilst still having a good commercial backgound.
Skills and Attributes
- A competent coach and trainer with good facilitation skills
- Strong mentoring skills with a nurturing style
- Competent in recognising where delegates require further support with an exercise and ensuring delegates fulfill their own objectives and those of the school
- An ability to steer the group through ambiguity using positive methods of motivation
- A broad array of experiences to be able to share with the group and build on the themes of the days ensuring relevance to their current roles
- Leadership and line management experience beneficial but not essential if strong training skills exist
- Strong organisational skills to keep the group on track
- Good teamwork skills to work effectively with other GLs and support the GL team
Requirements and commitment of a GL
- Commitment and willingness to study the work programme and prepare yourself for the week
- Be able to attend GL training days