OSS Retail Academy
17 - 23 August 2019, Keble College, Oxford
Course fee: £2,995 +VAT
The content will provoke delegates to consider how they can more successfully affect the retail environment in which they work, specifically; their own performance, the performance of their team and their ability to influence the commercial performance of their part of the company.
This Academy concentrates on enhancing the delegate’s understanding and management of the five key retail resources: People, Money, Merchandise, Marketing and Retail Channels.
Countdown to the school
The single most valuable thing I have done in my life. A truly awe-inspiring experience. I fell in love with retail, all over again!Samantha Ackland-Jones, Steamer Trading
The Academy is a must do, a truly once in a lifetime experience – it changed my perception of life and work.Chris Iverson, Marks & Spencer
The Academy is an intense but safe environment to try out new styles of management, learn new commercial skills and apply them immediately.Holly Hughes-Metcalf, Harrods
I now understand the bigger picture of business and how retail is moving forward – OSS offered lots of great insights that I have taken back to my company.Hayley Mead, The Disney Store
A fantastic experience that will assist me in achieving my potential and a development course that is a great investment to all companies within retail sector.Robert Haining, Nike
The Academy is designed to deliver an inspirational experience that challenges and develops retail managers. It will expose delegates to some of the problems, decisions and challenges involved in running a retail business.
The content will provoke delegates to consider how they can more successfully affect the retail environment in which they work; specifically their own performance, the performance of their team and their ability to influence the commercial performance of their part of the company.
This school concentrates on enhancing the delegate’s understanding and management of the five key retail resources: People, Money, Marketing, Merchandise and Retail Space. Delegates will cover:
- People - Defining team roles and leadership characteristics, utilising a feedback model.
- Money - Analysis of cash flow forecasts, profit and loss accounts and interpreting key financial indicators.
- Marketing - Devise and present the marketing strategy for a new retail business.
- Merchandise - Participate in a merchandising exercise, which highlights the importance of getting the right stock in the right place at the right price.
- Retail channels - Devise the business proposition, layout, presentation and staffing of a new retail outlet and prepare a complete five-year sales and profit profile.
- Develop effective management styles
- Understand how they influence the team as a leader
- Gain new insights into the effective use of key retail levers e.g. space planning and sales densities, multi-channel trading, stock turn, cost control and profit management
- Formulate actions that will improve business performance
- Analyse and understand the importance of brands in marketing
- Understand, analyse and interpret key financial data and KPIs
The Academy programme is undeniably hard work - but this doesn't prevent the week from also being thoroughly enjoyable. We include a varied programme of social events throughout the week. This provides a well-earned diversion from the pressures of the course. This includes a black-tie celebration on the final evening before the culmination of the School and a review of the business exercise on Friday morning.
STEVE CONNELL has been the Programme Director for the OSS Academy since 2009. A delegate in 1992, Steve served as a Group Director for 8 years and Vice Chairman for two before becoming Chairman for 4 years between 2005 and 2008. Steve has a degree in marketing and a long career in sales management and business development.
In 2004 Steve established Inspire, a sales, marketing and management development consultancy. Through Inspire, Steve offers a range of services including consulting on business strategy, sales and marketing, training and development, coaching and lecturing, both in the UK and overseas.
In 2015 Steve opened the Cove Gallery in Weymouth and in 2017 opened a second art gallery in his home town of Cheltenham called Park Gallery. A published author, his first book, Personal Brand Essence, was published in May 2009 and another one, focused on sales account management, is on the way.